One approach to further developing the XM8, shedding some of its unique parts in exchange for conforming closer to standards.
1. Accepts AR-15 stocks and pistol grips, both to take advantage of existing inventories and to allow for aftermarket customization.
2. The carry handle is removed completely and the charging handle is reconfigured to be easily accessible with the new full-length rail, which is there to allow for a full range of optics packages.
3. The magwell is changed to accept regular NATO magazines, to simplify logistics. You could say that the magazine is the worst part of the AR-15, but improved aftermarket mags solve this issue. The magazine release is also changed to a push-button type.
4. There are symmetrical ejection ports on both sides, both to allow for right-left conversion, and to improve cooling.
5. There are holes to mount side rails for AN/PEQs, flashlights, etc, in lieu of the original PCAP holes.
The internals remain unchanged from the Hk XM8, and the bolt release inside the trigger guard is retained, as is compatibility with the XM320 underbarrel grenade launcher.
The charging handle can be removed and inserted on the opposite side at the operator's preference.